[TRANS] Hyoyeon Interview @ SINGLES Magazine September Issue

by - August 25, 2018

SINGLES 14TH ANNIVERSARY
HOTTEST ARTIST HYOYEON, AND THE REASON BEHIND HER SHINE.


POSITIVE WAVE

"I absorb positive energy from the people I'm with."

With a cheerful smile and a charming personality that captures the public's eye, Hyoyeon is definitely considered as the most energetic and active among the Girls' Generation members. Everyone can agree that the entire studio was at ease with her pleasing demeanor as she and her staff shared stories.

"I don't know, I guess I'm just really lucky with people [that I encounter]. It's strange, but every single moment is one where I take in energy from everyone I'm with. Be it friends, members, partners -- everyone just emits some sort of bright energy? Sometimes, while working, I feel uncomfortable. I don't usually complain about that. I'd rather have fun. So when I'm working with a group of people, either on stage or on broadcasts, I always feel energetic. Nowadays, we have this term 'S.D.H.' (Small but Definite Happiness). To be with everyone around me is S.D.H., 30 minutes or an hour with them is already a great happiness for me. Actually, I wasn't this dependent [on other people] in the past, but before I knew it, I found meaning with every meeting. Everyone asks me if I'm tired of going around to meet people, and I'm not! It is, in fact, very energizing for me."

 

DJ 'HYO'

Hyoyeon's active and bright personality, combined with her efforts, worked well as she ventured into something that is considered unusual for idols. Her work as 'DJ HYO', a single entitled 'Sober', showed not only her potential as a DJ, but left her audience looking forward to more music from her.

"It always came back to looking for my character. I was always known for my cool girl image and being the main dancer in the group, but I wanted to show the identity of 'Hyoyeon' the person. The feedback I received from my activities as a DJ only served to develop me further."

When asked about the charm behind DJ-ing, that helped create her identity, she said,

"You can always enjoy it. You can keep people dancing. DJ-ing isn't just playing music. The moment I'm up on stage, I'm there to tell a story through music. I'm nervous whenever I'm up on stage, but I find it fascinating to see people connect to the music of my story.



STILL ALIVE

'How can you do that after 10 years?' is something Hyoyeon often hears. And rightly so. It's like running a marathon for 10 years with little breaks in between, and then sprinting for another leg. It's been 10 years, how are you not exhausted?

"On the contrary, the public's interest is not burdensome [for me]. It's fun actually, showing myself, and sharing to people what I like. More like, I have this sense of responsibility to live a better life. I guess the reason I can run nonstop is because I've endured seven years of training long ago. It was in those times that I got to focus on myself, in that decade as Girls' Generation. I want to continue running, even if I'm in my 30s and 40s. Three years ago, I took up composition classes, but I didn't know how to use it, [even if] I wanted to learn composition. It only became helpful when I started DJ-ing, knowing the beats, and interestingly, now I'm taking English lessons once a week. Of course, it's hard to take classes at 10am (laughs). Who knows what the future holds. I think I can have good music out in the second half of the year, so I'm steadily working on that. I can't wait to meet my fans." ❤

Translated by: HYOSubs - @thehwangandonly

You May Also Like

1 comments